3 Day Courses for Skippering a Motor Boat

3 Guests

About This Boat

3 day courses for skippering a Motor Boat of up to 10 meters in length:

It is now necessary for British owners of Power Boats in Portugal & Spain to have a licence to operate their vessel. Marine Police in both countries are fining owners who do not have such a licence. Our school is authorized by the RYA to issue International Certificates of Competence for skippering Power Boats.

ICC certificates until very recently could only be issued to either British people or people who are resident in Britain, evidence of residence in the form of a photocopy of an electricity bill or similar is required by the RYA.  HOWEVER new rules from March 2011 state that citizens of non UNEC countries plus citizens of the US and Canada do now qualify to have an ICC. For information on training and testing please email me, you will find the ICC syllabus at the bottom of this page in blue. Please note: All skippers of sailing and motor boats in Portugal and Spain are now required to have an ICC.

For people who intend to skipper vessels of up to 10 metres and with just one engine I offer a three day course, the first day will involve studying theory in my classroom at Olhos de Agua near Vilamoura learning both traditional navigation techniques and how to use a Raymarine Chart Plotter.  The next two days practical boat handling and navigation at sea using both a paper chart and a GPS chart plotter for navigation. The ICC Test will take the form of continuous assessment throughout the course. If you have completed an RYA theory course in the last 3 years then it is only necessary to do the 2 practical days of this 3 day course.

For people who wish to do the course in their own boat of up to 10 metres but with two engines I recommend a 4 day course, the first day will involve studying theory in my classroom at Olhos de Agua. The ICC Test will take the form of continuous assessment throughout the course.  If you have completed an RYA theory course in the last 3 years then it is only necessary to do the 3 practical days of this 4 day course.

If someone only wants to be tested and they do not require tuition, the test will take half a day. In addition to my fee for conducting the test there is an RYA test fee of £40 which can be paid to 'The Royal Yachting Association'. It is also necessary for candidates to supply a passport size photograph.

Courses can be taken either on your own boat, or on a vessel supplied by our school.

Three day courses (for an ICC for skippering a motor boat of up to 10 meters in length) on which I have a maximum of three people I use a 7 metre RIB shown to the left. This course covers marina boat handling, safety, man overboard, high speed exercises at sea, navigation at sea using both traditional navigation techniques as well the use of a GPS chart plotter during the two practical days. There is a Raymarine C70 chart plotter in the classroom which clients can use for learning how to use a GPS chart plotter.

During this 3 day course you make a coastal passage to Alvor where you will undertake the pilotage plan described in my article on Alvor and also to the Arade river where you will pilot the boat up to the railway bridge at Portimao. Lunch will be provided by the school in a restaurant on all 3 days.

If you have any questions, we can answer those through GetMyBoat’s messaging platform before you pay. Just hit, “Request to Book” and send us an inquiry for a custom offer.


  • Type: RIB
  • Capacity: 3 People
  • Rental Minimum: 1 day
  • Cancellation: Full Refund 5 Days Prior


  • Life jackets/required safety gear
  • Wheel steering
  • Outboard Engine

More Images

Meet Martin


Member Since Sep 2014

Contact Owner
Request to Book Martin