All Getmyboat operators are required to and are responsible for operating legally within and fully compliant of local guidelines — this includes obtaining proper registrations, passes, permits, etc., meeting vessel and captain requirements, using the correct docks and boating areas for commercial activities, and any other stipulations by your local laws and facility regulations.  

To help, we’ve gathered the following essential details for boating in Folsom Lake.

Commercial boating on Folsom Lake, presents a unique opportunity for businesses to offer water-based services. To operate legally and safely, operators must comply with a set of requirements, including mandatory safety courses and certifications, as well as obtaining the necessary commercial liability insurance. Additionally, adherence to environmental regulations, such as displaying the Quagga Sticker, and maintaining up-to-date vessel registration are crucial aspects of this operation. The following information provides essential resources to ensure that you can navigate these legal requirements effectively.

Boater Card:

Possession of a California Boater Card indicates completion of a required safety course and exam for motorized vessel operators in state waterways. The lifetime card costs $10. Rental operators may be exempt but are encouraged to take a safety course. For more information on how to apply and required courses, visit the California Boater Card website.

Individuals under the age of 16 are prohibited from operating a vessel on Folsom Lake.

USCG Captains License:

To operate a passenger vessel legally in exchange for compensation, obtaining and maintaining a USCG license is essential

  • OUPV (6-pack): This certification is the preferred selection for passenger vessels that are legally constrained to carrying six or fewer passengers.
  • Master (25-200): This certification is the recommended choice for passenger vessels that can legally host six or more passengers. 

Additional details are available through the Mariners Learning System. Use the promo code GETMYBOAT10 for 10% off all products.

Anyone holding a valid USCG captains license can apply for a For-Hire Vessel Operator's License without any additional tests. Refer to the Division of Boating and Waterways for additional details.


To lawfully engage in captained or bareboat charters on Lake Tahoe, it is mandatory to have commercial insurance. We recommend Boat Charter Insurance, our official partner for boat insurance, to assist you in obtaining the required commercial insurance coverage. Please feel free to reach out to them for help in securing suitable insurance for your charter operations.

Concessions Permit:

To operate legally on Folsom Lake, you are required to obtain a Concessions Permit. This involves a complex process to ensure compliance with regulations. Private businesses must operate under contracts to enhance state park experiences. You'll start with a detailed permit application, including safety measures. Concession contracts require liability insurance, adherence to laws, and financial reporting.

Getting a concession involves competitive bidding via Request for Proposals (RFP) or Request for Interest (RFI) in some cases. The authorities will evaluate your application for qualifications and its alignment with park objectives, and they will notify you of the permit's status.

For further information about the concessions Permit and its requirements, please contact the CA Parks Concessions department at or by phone at 916-653-7733.

Quagga Sticker: 

Known as the Mussel Fee Sticker, this sticker must be displayed by owners of motorized vessels utilized in freshwater to comply with legal regulations.  Along with paying the $16 fee you must request a sticker.

Possessing the Mussel Fee Paid sticker does not exempt vessel operators from undergoing inspections or associated fees conducted by individual reservoirs.


To legally operate any vessel on California's waterways,  it is required that the vessel is currently registered and has a copy of its up to date registration on board at all times. This applies to sailboats that are longer than eight feet and to any boat or vessel equipped with a motor.

Additional information about the registration process can be located at: CA DMV

  • Proof of valid registration is required before launching your boat.

General Information:

Prior to heading out to Folsom Lake, it's important  to check the water level report to determine if there are any boating restrictions linked to water levels.  In the case of reduced water levels rules pertaining to boat speed while navigating the water might be enforced.

The official address for the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area is 7755 Folsom-Auburn Road, Folsom, CA 95630. It's worth noting that there are several entrance points, here are a couple of popular options that provide access to boat ramps:

  • Granite Bay: Features a multi-lane ramp.
  • Rattlesnake Bar: Offers a 2-lane ramp, although it's seasonal.
  • Brown’s Ravine: Provides both a 4-lane and a 2-lane ramp.
  • Folsom Point: Equipped with a 4-lane ramp. 

The parking fee is $12 per vehicle, and launching your vessel costs $10. To ensure that your preferred ramp is open, it's recommended to contact the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area directly. You can reach them at (916) 988-0205 or via email at

As of January 1st 2022 there have been updates to water safety guidelines. This is a direct link to the new order. This comes directly from the Department of Parks and Recreation Folsom Sector.

To find additional details , please visit the Folsom Lake website.