All Getmyboat operators are required to and are responsible for operating legally within and fully compliant of local guidelines — this includes obtaining proper registrations, passes, permits, etc., meeting vessel and captain requirements, using the correct docks and boating areas for commercial activities, and any other stipulations by your local laws and facility regulations.  

To help, we’ve gathered the following essential details for boating in Marina del Rey.

Marina del Rey is an unincorporated city that is regulated by federal law, and the rules and regulations favor owners who have been established for many years. To start any commercial operation — like renting out your boat — there are several steps that need to be completed to make sure you’re operating in a fully legally compliant way.

Operate only from an approved commercial dock. Your home slip is most likely not an approved commercial location. The public launch ramp, Burton Chace Park and various pump-out locations and dingy docks are not approved commercial locations.

The County-owned commercial dock (Dock 55) at Fisherman’s Village is the preferred location. However, there is a significant wait time for permit approval, estimated to be around 2 years or longer. 

Jun Dolor at Dock 55 can be contacted for more information at (310) 305-1300 ext. 3 or

There are 2 other commercial locations - Essex/City Club Marina and Windward Yachts Marina. These locations have a very limited number of commercial slips.

The county does offer an option to obtain a commercial sublease, but this is a very long 

and an expensive process.

  1. Obtain a business license, and register it with the County of Los Angeles. You can contact the Business License Section at the Treasurer and Tax Collector's Office for assistance. Start your registration with the County of Los Angeles here . Note : The county will not approve Water Taxi business license(s) without first securing appropriate pickup/drop-off location.
  2. Obtain a vessel inspection and approval. The vessel must be inspected and approved by the United States Coast Guard (USCG). Contact the USCG at 310-823-2300 for more information.
  3. Obtain vessel examination. Marina del Rey requires both captained and Bareboat charter vessels to receive a UPV sticker from the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. The vessel must meet minimum standards of personnel licensing, documentation / registration, general safety, communications, navigation, firefighting equipment, engineering safety equipment, garbage and oil pollution prevention, overall vessel condition, sound signals, drug testing program for captain and crew, marine casualty reporting and distress signals. Contact the USCG Aux at (310)823-2300 for more information.
  4. The vessel must be operated by a USCG Licensed captain. You may consider partnering with Mariners Learning System for assistance with obtaining the required license. Use the promo code GETMYBOAT10 for 10% off all products.
  5. Obtain commercial insurance Both captained and bareboat charters must have commercial insurance to operate legally in Marina del Rey. You can reach out to Boat Charter Insurance, our official boat insurance partner, for assistance in obtaining commercial insurance.
  6. Operate only from an approved commercial dock. Currently, the only marina that allows commercial charters in Marina del Rey is Dock 55. However, there is a significant wait time for permit approval, estimated to be around 2 years or longer. You will need to obtain a commercial sublease, go through a hearing with a commission member, and acquire a permit from regional planning. Jun Dolor at Dock 55 can be contacted for more information at (310) 305-1300 ext. 3 or
  7. Pay a commercial docking fee. Commercial operations are subject to a County Fee of 6%. Management of Approved Pickup/Drop-off Location(s) may charge additional fees. 
  8. Abide by the hours of operation. Commercial operations can be conducted between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM daily.
  9. Abide by County Code Section 19.12.1270 B. Familiarize yourself with the specific regulations outlined in this code section, as it governs the use of docks for commercial purposes.

Still have questions? For specific inquiries or permits, you can contact the following:

  • Zoning Permits: Coastal Permits Section at the Department of Regional Planning ( or (213) 974-0051).
  • Business Licenses: Business License Section at the Treasurer and Tax Collector's Office ( or (213) 974-2011).
  • Asset Management Division: Department of Beaches and Harbors ( or (424) 526-7737).
  • Marina del Rey Harbormaster: Contact at 310-482-6000.
  • U.S. Coast Guard: Contact at 310-823-2300.

We would recommend you familiarize yourself with the Department of Beaches and Harbor. They are a free resource to help establish your charter business. Here is a Handout from them to help get this process started

It's important to note that regulations and requirements may change over time, so it's advisable to verify the information with the relevant authorities and organizations involved before starting a commercial operation in Marina del Rey.

COMCA (Charterboat Operators of Marina del Rey CA) - a non-profit organization of Charter Operators in Marina del Rey can be a great resource. 

Website -www.COMCA.LA  Email