Candlewood Lake, situated in Fairfield and Litchfield counties in Western Connecticut, is a man-made lake. Boating is a highly favored activity on this lake, with numerous marinas and boat launch points are available. A diverse range of boats can be rented or chartered for use.The regulation of boating activities on Candlewood Lake is overseen by the Candlewood Lake Authority (CLA). Officers belonging to the CLA Marine Patrol consistently monitor the lake and issue citations to individuals who violate these regulations.

All operators affiliated with Getmyboat are obligated to adhere to local guidelines and ensure lawful operation. This entails obtaining requisite registrations and permits, meeting specific vessel and captain prerequisites, utilizing authorized docks and allocated commercial boating areas, and following any additional regulations specified by local laws and facility guidelines. To provide assistance, we have compiled essential information for boating on Candlewood Lake, Connecticut.

Vessel Registration:

To register your boat in Connecticut, you must complete the vessel registration process with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This applies to all motorboats, regardless of size, and sailboats that are 19 feet 6 inches or longer in length

Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Prevention:

Zebra mussels and Eurasian watermilfoil pose risks to Candlewood Lake. To safeguard it, clean, drain, and dry your boat, check for AIS, and notify DEEP of any sightings. Complimentary boat inspections are offered at select public launches in the boating season. A $5 fee is necessary for the Connecticut Aquatic Invasive Species Stamp, valid for one year.


Insurance for commercial vessels is mandatory for all those in operation on Lake Candlewood in Connecticut. This encompasses vessels utilized for hire, like charter boats and water taxis, and those used for commercial objectives, such as fishing boats and towboats. For help choosing the best insurance policy for your business, contact our affiliate partner, Boat Charter Insurance.

Vessel Size Restrictions:

Watercraft exceeding 26 feet in length, whether powered or sailing vessels, are prohibited on Candlewood Lake unless specifically permitted by the DEEP Commissioner. Permission is granted to larger boats with a history of use on Candlewood Lake. Please contact the DEEP Boating Division at (860) 434-8638 for more information.

Boater Safety Certificate:

If you're 16 or older and want to operate a boat with a motor over 10 horsepower or a personal watercraft, you need a valid certificate. Kids under 16 can drive a boat with a motor up to 10 horsepower without a certificate, but they must be supervised by someone 18 or older with a valid certificate. For more information and to find an approved course visit the DEEP website.

USCG Captain’s License:

You need a US Coast Guard(USCG) license to operate commercial boats in Connecticut . The type of license you need depends on what you'll be doing. For example, a charter boat captain needs a USCG Merchant Mariner's License with a Boatswain's Mate - Operate Small Passenger Vessel Endorsement. A tour boat captain needs a USCG Master's License with a Passenger Vessel Endorsement. To learn more, visit the Mariners Learning System website.

Passenger Pick Up/ Drop Off:

Numerous places allow for boat drop-offs and pickups for rentals, and here are a few with specified passenger zones. Before finalizing your plans, be sure to verify the pickup and drop-off policies at each location.

  • Lattins Cove Boat Launch Located at 8 Forty Acre Mountain Rd, Danbury, CT 06811
  • Candlewood - Squantz Cove Public Boat Launch:Located at 178 Short Woods Rd, New Fairfield, CT 06812

Additional Permits/Licenses:

Depending on the nature of the boating activity, additional permits may be necessary.

  • Fishing License: Connecticut law requires all anglers aged 16 and older to purchase a valid fishing license in order to fish in state waters.
  • Business License: To run a for-hire boating business on Candlewood Lake in Connecticut, you must get a business license from the town where you will operate. Towns that fall under this requirement are Brookfield, New Fairfield, New Milford, Sherman and the City of Danbury.
  • Safe Water Skiing Endorsement: To legally operate a vessel or personal watercraft in Connecticut while towing a skier, tube, or wakeboarder, you must hold a valid boating safety certificate and a CT safe water skiing endorsement.

Helpful Information:

  • Commercial activity is not allowed at state boat launches.
  • Boats must be equipped with all required safety equipment, such as life jackets, fire extinguishers, and first-aid kits.
  • Commercial boats are subject to periodic inspections by the CLA.
  • Speed limit during the day is 45 mph (from half an hour before sunrise to half an hour after sunset), while the speed limit at night is 25 mph.
  • Commercial boats must comply with all applicable passenger limits.

Operating a commercial boat on Candlewood Lake involves obeying local rules, getting the needed permits and licenses, meeting vessel and captain requirements, and following safety rules. This guide provides key information for compliance and safe boating. For a better understanding, reach out to the CLA at (860)354-6928.