Percy Priest Lake in Middle Tennessee, about 15 miles from Nashville, is a popular spot for activities like boating and fishing. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) manage the lake. USACE takes care of the dam, water levels, and flood control, while TWRA manages the lake's wildlife and fish.

For GetMyBoat operators, it's essential to follow local rules, including getting the right permits, meeting vessel and captain requirements, and using approved docks and areas for commercial activities. We've gathered key details to help with boating on Percy Priest Lake.


Tennessee commercial boat insurance, also known as marine insurance or commercial watercraft insurance, protects businesses and individuals who use boats for commercial purposes in the state.

Contact our insurance partner BCI for a quote.

USCG License:

In Tennessee, individuals need a Captain's License, to pilot a vessel available for hire that carries a maximum of six passengers. This encompasses charter boats, fishing guides, and various other forms of commercial passenger watercraft.

For more information on obtaining a captains license please visit Mariners Learning System. Use the promo code GETMYBOAT10 for 10% off all products.

Certificate of Inspection (COI):

Every commercial boat on Percy Priest Lake requires a TWRA inspection certificate. To obtain this certificate, you must pass a vessel inspection. It remains valid for one year, and you must renew it annually. You must carry your current inspection certificate on board your boat at all times.

To obtain a TWRA COI for Percy Priest Lake, you must:

  • Submit an application to the TWRA
  • Pay an application fee
  • Pass a vessel inspection conducted by a TWRA officer

For more information about COIs by contacting the TWRA (615) 781-6500.


Tennessee law requires all motorized watercraft and sailboats that are primarily used in the state to be registered. To start the registration process, you must complete an official Application for Boat Certificate of Number. You can get this application from a Tennessee county clerk's office or from the boat dealer who sold you the boat. The application will give you a temporary yellow registration that is valid for 60 days from the date you filled it out. This gives the state enough time to process your registration and send you your permanent registration card and decals.

Check out the TWRA website to find more information and necessary documents needed to register you vessel.

Pick Up / Drop off :

If you're looking for a place to pick up or drop off passengers for a commercial boat charter or tours, here are a few options with designated areas:

  • Fate Sanders Marina Boat Ramp:Provides four loading lanes and a parking area capable of holding up to 100 cars.They are located at 3157 Weakley Lane Smyrna, TN They can be contacted by phone at - (615)459-6219.
  • Anderson Road Marina: Located at 4060 Anderson Rd, Nashville, TN 37217 and can be contacted by calling (615) 361-1980.

Confirm the marina or dock's passenger pick up and drop off policies before you go.

Additional Information:

  • Commercial watercraft must maintain a slow-no wake speed when within a 300-foot radius of any shoreline, pier, or other vessel.
  • Specific areas of the lake, including swim beaches and restricted fishing zones, are off-limits to commercial vessels, and their operation is prohibited in these designated areas.
  • Tennessee residents who were born on or after January 1, 1989, are required to present their TWRA-issued wallet Boating Safety Education Certificate.
  • Your boat must have the required safety equipment. This includes a life jacket for each person on board, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a sound-producing device.
  • You must comply with all other applicable boating laws and regulations. These include laws regarding navigation, anchoring, and fishing.
  • A valid commercial vessel license from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA)
  • A valid commercial vessel operator's license from the TWRA

Below are some useful links to assist you in getting started:

For more details regarding Percy Priest Lake, you can reach out to the USACE at (615) 889-1975 and the TWRA at (615) 781-6500.