Lake Pend Oreille, a vast and deep lake in northern Idaho, is a boater's paradise. Its crystal-clear waters, stretching over 43 miles and reaching depths of over 1,150 feet, offer endless opportunities for boating, fishing, and swimming. With numerous marinas and boat launches scattered around the lake, it's easy to get out on the water and explore.
Each GetMyBoat operator must ensure compliance with local regulations, which entails securing the necessary registrations, passes, and permits, and meeting specific criteria for both the vessel and its captain. This also includes utilizing designated docks and approved boating zones for any commercial operations as dictated by local laws and facility regulations.
- Ensure your boat is properly registered, displaying the registration certificate onboard.
- All individuals on the boat must wear Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
- Display the current year validation stickers on both sides of the boat at the front.
- Keep a Coast Guard-approved fire extinguisher onboard.
- If your boat features an inboard motor, equip it with a backfire flame arrester and blower.
- Have a sound-producing device, like a horn or whistle, accessible onboard.
- Boats exceeding 16 feet in length must carry a Coast Guard-approved throwable cushion or ring.
Pick up / Drop off locations:
This lake has several public boat ramps to choose from. Here are a few you can use
Lakeview Park Boat Ramp
Garfield Bay Public Boat Launch
Hope Pilings & Boat Basin public launch
Operators renting out vessels for compensation must possess insurance covering rentals. GetMyBoat has an official partnership with Boat Charter Insurance, assisting in obtaining the necessary commercial insurance policy for such activities.
Operation of a Vessel:
In Idaho, while there is no statewide law specifying a minimum age or mandatory safety class for boat operators, certain counties may impose their own age requirements for operating powerboats. It is strongly recommended that all boat operators complete a boater education course for enhanced safety and proficiency.
Don't forget to stay updated on boat registrations and renewals to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
For additional information and resources regarding boating in Idaho, including frequently asked questions, refer to Idaho Parks and Recreation Boating FAQ section.
- To obtain a USCG captain license you can reach out to our partner Mariners Learning System. Use the promo code GETMYBOAT10 for 10% off all products.