Grand Lake in Colorado, situated within Rocky Mountain National Park, is the state's largest and deepest natural lake, located at an elevation of 8,367 feet. It's a popular tourist destination for fishing, boating, and camping in the stunning Rocky Mountain landscape.
All GetMyBoat operators must adhere to local guidelines, including obtaining necessary registrations, permits, and meeting vessel and captain requirements. They must also use designated docks and boating areas for commercial activities, complying with local laws and facility regulations. Here are essential details for boating on Grand Lake.
Commercial Boat License:
In order to run a for-hire vessel on Grand Lake, you must obtain a Commercial Boat License from the Town of Grand Lake. To begin the process, you need to submit an application to the Town Clerk's Office. The application can be found on the Town of Grand Lake website.
USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC):
If you intend to run a commercial boat on Grand Lake, you must possess a USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC). This credential comes in two categories: one for individuals who wish to be the master of any uninspected vessel under 100 gross tons (GT) and the other for those who want to operate uninspected passenger vessels (OUPV). These qualifications apply specifically to commercial passenger vessels under 100 GT on Grand Lake. Visit the USCG website for more information.
Certificate of Documentation (COD):
A vessel must undergo official registration with the USCG, which is mandatory for all vessels exceeding five net tons involved in commercial operations such as fishing, towing, or providing passenger transport for compensation. More information can be found here.
Boater Safety Certificate:
The Boating Safety Certificate is proof that you've completed an accredited boater safety course. If you're 16 years or older, this certificate allows you to operate motorboats, personal watercraft (PWC), or sailboats in Colorado. Make sure to carry this card on your vessel and show it to law enforcement when required.
To legally operate a boat on Lake Granby, proper registration is essential. You must carry an up-to-date registration copy at all times, whether you're using a motorized or sailboat. Colorado residents must get the ANS Stamp when registering their boats and carry proof of purchase when using them. All boats must undergo an ANS inspection before entering Lake Granby.
Visit CPW for more details on Registration and the ANS Stamp.
To operate a for-hire vessel on Lake Granby, operators must have the required commercial insurance. For more information, contact BCI, the insurance partner associated with GetMyBoat
Passenger Pick Up/ Drop Off:
Numerous places offer designated passenger areas for boat rentals, allowing for convenient drop-offs and pickups. It is crucial to confirm the pickup and drop-off guidelines with the marina or dock before confirming your plans.
- Public Boat Launch: Located at 3045 W Portal Rd, Grand Lake, CO. .
- Beacon Landing Marina: Located at 1026 Co Rd 64. Grand Lake, CO. .
- Safety Gear: Essential safety equipment, including life jackets for all passengers, fire extinguishers, first-aid kits, audible signaling devices, throwable flotation devices, and bailing equipment, must be carried on board commercial boats.
- Operational Regulations: Commercial boats are required to adhere to specific operational rules, which include staying within designated areas, maintaining safe distances from other vessels and swimmers, and complying with speed limits. Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strictly prohibited.
- Hours of Operation: Commercial boats are not allowed to operate between 10 pm and 6 am.
- Restricted Zones: Certain areas, such as North Inlet and various marina harbors, are off-limits to commercial boat operations.
- Prohibition on Towing: Towing activities, such as water skiing, wakeboarding, or similar activities, are not permitted.
- Annual USCG Inspection: The boat must undergo an annual inspection by the United States Coast Guard (USCG).
- Captain License Partner - To obtain a USCG captain license you can reach out to our partner Mariners Learning System. Use the promo code GETMYBOAT10 for 10% off all products.