How does GetMyBoat handle security deposits?
Owners can add a security deposit to their listing, as long as it is added before a reservation is booked.
When you book a listing with a security deposit, your payment details are stored but not charged or authorized for the deposit. This amount represents the maximum a boat owner can claim for damage.
If an owner wants to make a claim on the security deposit, they must do so within 48 hours of the checkout date. If a claim is made, GetMyBoat will mediate and collect payment from the guest, as necessary.
Security deposits cannot be handled off-site in cash, as off-site payments are a violation of GetMyBoat’s terms. Additionally, GetMyBoat cannot help in the collection of any deposit arrangements made off the GetMyBoat platform.
How do I add a security deposit to my listing?
See video tutorial here.
What should I expect if I report damages for my boat?
Boat owner and guests should first work together to resolve any issue. A pre-rental and post rental walkthrough can help set expectations and minimize disagreements. Should an issue need to be escalated, GetMyBoat will collect documentation substantiating the boat owner’s claim and work with both sides towards a resolution.
GetMyBoat’s goal is to resolve security deposit claims within one week.
How to File a Claim
1. Communicate with the guest that a claim is being filed and discuss the amount of the claim
2. Compile documentation to file claim and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Items needed include, but are not limited to the following:
- Pictures or video of the claim
- Signed pre-rental and post rental walkthrough
- Invoice, quote or estimate for the claim
3. Provide GetMyBoat with supporting evidence of the claim within 48 hours of checkout date
4. Cooperate with GetMyBoat to agree to appropriate claims support. If there is no cooperation in a timely matter, then claims will be dissolved
Find GetMyBoat’s pre-rental and post rental checklist here.
Can a security deposit be collected outside of the GetMyBoat website?
No. Deposits handled outside GetMyBoat violate our Terms of Service.